Deep hole drilling is a machining technology designed to create bores that have high length-to-diameter ratios that could not be produced with conventional drilling techniques.
At Hone-All, we combine the latest deep hole drilling technology with exceptional standards of workmanship and experience to meet our customers’ requirements for holes up to 2,500mm in length and between 2mm and 25mm in diameter.
Our innovative deep hole drilling equipment ensures a consistently high standard of machining, so we can meet short timescales within budget.
With an accuracy of 0.001” per 1” drilled, our deep hole drilling promises the incredible precision required in a range of demanding industries, including:
- Aeronautics and defence
- Oil and gas production
- Motorsports, including F1
If you would like a quote for deep hole drilling for your next engineering project, what information do we need from you – and why?
Information/Parameters We Need To Quote For Deep Hole Drilling
- The material specification – this is essential to ensure accurate quoting as material properties differ, as do the speeds and feeds required to machine them efficiently.
- Outside diameter – we need this to assess which machine the component can be held on as well as to ensure we have a suitable wall thickness to ensure the drilling process can be completed safely.
- Inside diameter – this is required to ensure we have tooling available, as although we have a vast range in stock, certain materials such as Inconel, may require specialist tooling, as do blind bores with specific forms at the base.
- Overall length – as with the first two, these are required for tooling and machine capacity decisions.
- The bore type – i.e., is it a through bore or blind bore? If it is a blind bore, is a specific form required such as a flat bottom or particular radius at the base? Standard deep hole drilling leaves a sharp W shape at the bottom of the bore. Any other form can increase your unit cost due to either requiring specific drill grinds or bespoke drill heads.
- The depth tolerance – if you require a blind bore, we need to know the tolerance required on the bore depth. As long as there is excess material on the length, we can “back-face” to achieve tighter tolerances on depths.
- The bore tolerance – bore tolerance is a major factor when quoting the deep hole drilling process. If the tolerance is below the industry standard of ±0,1mm, a honing process may be required.
- Any surface finish requirement – in addition to the bore tolerance, this is needed to ascertain whether we have to add a honing operation.
- T.I.R. or Straightness requirements – we need to know these as even though we may be only carrying out an initial gundrilling or deep hole drilling operation, we need to ensure there is sufficient material to be turned off to correct any drill wander. Industry standard for drill wander is 1mm per 1 metre or 0.001” per 1” drilled.
Hone-All: Precision, Reliability, And Integrity
If you are looking for a trustworthy precision machining company that puts its customers’ needs first, talk to Hone-All today.
By collaborating with us, you benefit from:
- A tailored approach to meeting the needs of your project, within your timescales.
- A commitment to providing unrivalled excellence and reliability.
- Our investment in the latest cutting-edge drilling technology and a programme of upskilling our talented team.
- A clear outline of costs and timescales so you can plan and budget on your production line.
- An open, friendly approach at all stages of the process.
To find out more about our deep hole drilling services, please call 01525 370666 or request a quote and our team will be in touch.